[squid-users] Accelerartor-Mode caching strategy question

From: Dirk Schmidt <another_dirk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:43:15 +0100

Hello everyone,

I'm pondering about setting up Squid in accelerator-mode to take load away
from a web-server. So far nothing unusual.

In his post to the list, found at
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200110/1089.html
Thomas Ristic mentioned the following problem
"
A client asks for an expired object therefore the cache tries to get the
object from the webserver.The webserver queues this request and needs 20
seconds to deliver the output. Meanwhile another client requests the same
object. SQUID can’t find a valid object in the cache and seems to request
the same object a second time.
"
This is basically the scenario I'm facing as well:
Keeping squid from re-fetching expired objects for N requests, instead wait
till the 1st request for the object is fulfilled by the web-server.
I searched around and found Henrik Nordstrom saying that
"As you experience Squid is not optimally tuned to be running as a web
server accelerator."
(http://ftp.pop-mg.rnp.br/squid/mail-archive/squid-users/200207/0481.html)

Is this problem somehow fixable, either by configuration or patch or
devel-version?

Thanks alot,

Dirk

Hotmail  -  Absolut kostenfrei! Der weltweit größte E-Mail-Anbieter im Netz:
  http://www.msn.de/hotmail