Re: [squid-users] cache_mem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 24 Feb 2003 15:21:35 +0100

mån 2003-02-24 klockan 13.32 skrev Ilker Gokhan:

> Doesnt TCP_MEM_HIT value increasing depend on cache_mem value? I mean
> that if you have more cache_mem value, you *can* get more TCP_MEM_HIT.
>
> Is that right?

Right. But in most normal proxy situations TCP_HIT for objects which are
still in the OS filesystem buffers (which may grow larger if less memory
is used by Squid for cache_mem) is not very much slower, and having the
additional memory for filesystem buffers may speed up other operations
such as writing to the disks considerably..

If you run an accelerator for a "small" static web site which can fit
mostly in memory then you want most content to be TCP_MEM_HIT, but the
situation is somewhat different for a normal proxy.

Optimizing a system is about finding the proper balance between things.

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden