[squid-users] Restricting Authenticated Users

From: Scott Wrosch <swrosch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:56:56 -0500

Good morning everyone!

Well, I just had a monkey wrench thrown into the way things were going
to work for this proxy we're trying to set up. Sooooo.. I need some
advice/suggestions.

What we have is a proxy that is set up to authenticate to the Windows
2000 domain using msntauth. That works fabulously.

What my original plan to do was to set it up so that the domains that
the customer service people need access to, they could get to it
unrestricted. Then, they would have to be authenticated in order to
access anything beyond that. And, using msntauth, they wouldn't be
allowed to.

However, I have had a monkey wrench thrown into those plans, which would
have been simple and worked well. What now needs to be done is each
user needs to be put into specific groups. Those specific groups then
have varying access needs to specific sites. This could then entail
multiple users being in multiple groups. It's a huge monkey wrench
because we have 30+ customer service people, most of them would be
required to be in different groups.

Now, with that being said, I know ACLs would definitely be involved.
But, what I'm wondering is if there is any simple way to do this. I
live by KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid), and to me, things just got
extraordinarily un-simple. So, I'm looking for any hints, tips,
suggestions, advice, etc etc etc...

This isn't something that I'm particularly thrilled about, but I don't
make the decisions. I've been going through the squid.conf file trying
to figure out possible ways of doing this, but nothing is just coming
out, slapping me in the face, and saying this is the way to do it!

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer!

Regards,

Scott Wrosch
desk 248.333.7700 x227
email swrosch@marketingassociates.com

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling
but in rising every time we fall." -- Confucius