Re: [squid-users] Nightly Snapshots? (was: RE: [squid-users] Restricting Authenticated Users)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 25 Feb 2003 15:04:48 +0100

tis 2003-02-25 klockan 14.31 skrev Scott Wrosch:
> Awesome! Thanks for the general direction pointing. =)
>
> One more question before I dive into researching LDAP. I have seen it
> mentioned in other posts here, but what exactly is the nightly
> snapshots? Is it a development release or something? I didn't really
> see anything about it when I was going through the documentation I could
> find on it, and figure I might as well inquire about it.

The nightly snapshots can be found from
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/. These contains a nightly
snapshot of the latest version of the Squid-2.5.STABLE source code taken
each night.

>From time to time official STABLE releases is made. The current STABLE
release is 2.5.STABLE1, and the next will be 2.5.STABLE2 (which by the
way is way overdue, apologies to everyone).

The nightly STABLE snapshots is best described as prereleases of what
will be the next bugfix release of the current STABLE version of Squid.
These snapshots may now have received as much testing as the latest
official STABLE release, but at the same time the nightly snapshots
contains all known bugfixes
(http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/bugs/) and is thus most
often more stable than the latest official STABLE release without any
patches..

In your specific case the LDAP group support has been significantly
updated since 2.5.STABLE1 as it was quickly found that the very
simplistic view of groups of the original LDAP group helper is not
sufficient in most setups..

Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden