Re: [squid-users] Squid response time

From: Wei Keong <chooweikeong@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:21:04 +0800 (Malay Peninsula Standard Time)

> On Tuesday 04 March 2003 02.47, Wei Keong wrote:
> > Squid 1 has no cache, only converting proxy request to web
> > request...
>
> What does cachemgr say about hit rate on Squid 1?

Squid 1 has 128MB of cache mem... Req Hit about 15%, Byte Hit about 5%

> > Is the MST is taken from the Squid access log?
>
> Depends on where you are reading the value.. if you are reading it
> from a statistics tool which processes access.log then it is. If you
> are reading it via cachemgr then you are reading an internal
> statistics field from Squid. The two should end up with the same
> value however..

I obtain the MST from cachemgr, and plot it onto RRD graphs. The HTTP
Request (All) and Cache Misses for Squid 1 is clearly lower than 2.

> > Supposing we are downloading a file, does Squid writes into access
> > log when it receives the response header or when it receives the
> > whole file?
>
> Squid access times are calculated from the time Squid has received the
> request headers to where it has written the full response to the
> client socket.
>
> Another thing it can be is TCP windows. Most "server" OS:es have much
> larger TCP windows than microsoft desktop OS:es...

This shows that MST should be a valid measurement of response time... Btw,
wget test verified that Squid 1 takes longer to download...

Rgds,
Wei Keong