Re: [squid-users] issues with winbind helpers

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:32:18 +0100

On Monday 10 March 2003 17.35, jschmidt@buhler.com wrote:

> One thing I have noticed with the wbinfo_group.pl helper is that it
> doesn't seem to
> support nested groups on the win2k server. ie. when using the
> group name 'inetusers'
> in squid.conf and then on win2k server try to add existing groups
> to this group,
> authentication fails. Only works when I add the users one by one
> to this group.

NT Domains does not support groups in groups.

Note: There is a difference between Domain groups and local groups.
Local groups only exists on the domain controllers, not in the domain
as such. Local groups may have domain groups as members.

> Also, I cannot get the wb_group helper to work from the CL, no
> matter what combination;
> domain\user group, domain\\user group, domain\user "group", tried
> upper/lower case

> I am thinking that it has something to do with this from the FAQ:
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html#ss23.5 :
> Squid-2.5.STABLE2 will support Samba-2.2.6 to Samba-2.2.7a and
> hopefully later
> Samba versions. To use Squid-2.5.STABLE2 with Samba versions 2.2.5
> or ealier
> the new --with-samba-sources=... configure option is required. This
> may also be the
> case with Samba-2.2.X versions later than 2.2.7a or if you have
> applied any winbind
> related patches to your Samba tree.
>
> This says that my samba and squid should not jive as I am combining
> STABLE1 with
> samba 2.2.7, but yet it works perfectly with wbinfo_group.pl. How
> can this be?

wbinfo_group.pl is not sensitive to these changes in the winbind API
as wbinfo_group.pl uses the wbinfo command installed with Samba for
talking to winbind.

> And I'm wondering where do I get 2.5.STABLE2, the download page
> doesn't list it?

It is not released yet. But the same notes applies to the current
2.5.STABLE1-2003XXYY snapshots.

> Do I need to do the switching of the winbindd_nss.h file
> (recommended in that section
> of the FAQ for earlier versions of samba), to make this helper
> work?

I'd recommend first trying a snapshot release of Squid-2.5, or wait
for 2.5.STABLE2. (the current 2.5 snapshots are currently regarded as
2.5.STABLE2 release candidates).