[squid-users] issues with winbind helpers

From: <jschmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:35:47 -0600

I have squid-2.5.STABLE1 cache and Samba 2.2.7 installed and working.
I have my users being authenticated transparently via NTLM helpers
wb_ntlmauth,
and wbinfo_group.pl to my Win2k active directory domain (pre-win2k
enabled)

One thing I have noticed with the wbinfo_group.pl helper is that it
doesn't seem to
support nested groups on the win2k server. ie. when using the group name
'inetusers'
in squid.conf and then on win2k server try to add existing groups to this
group,
authentication fails. Only works when I add the users one by one to this
group.

Also, I cannot get the wb_group helper to work from the CL, no matter what
combination;
domain\user group, domain\\user group, domain\user "group", tried
upper/lower case

I am thinking that it has something to do with this from the FAQ:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html#ss23.5 :
Squid-2.5.STABLE2 will support Samba-2.2.6 to Samba-2.2.7a and hopefully
later
Samba versions. To use Squid-2.5.STABLE2 with Samba versions 2.2.5 or
ealier
the new --with-samba-sources=... configure option is required. This may
also be the
case with Samba-2.2.X versions later than 2.2.7a or if you have applied
any winbind
related patches to your Samba tree.

This says that my samba and squid should not jive as I am combining
STABLE1 with
samba 2.2.7, but yet it works perfectly with wbinfo_group.pl. How can
this be?

And I'm wondering where do I get 2.5.STABLE2, the download page doesn't
list it?

Do I need to do the switching of the winbindd_nss.h file (recommended in
that section
of the FAQ for earlier versions of samba), to make this helper
work?

tia
-jamie-