RE: [squid-users] Squid 2.5 and SmartFilter causing frequent crashes

From: Lightfoot.Michael <Lightfoot.Michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:03:04 +1100

> Then get a stacktrace of the crashes and send these to
> SmartFilter, asking why Squid crashes in this manner when
> using their software. It may be a SmartFilter bug or a Squid
> bug, but it is impossible without knowing the internals of
> how SmartFilter modifies Squid, and only SmartFilter knows this.

As I stated (not very clearly) I have had no success in getting a core
dump from squid 2.5. I have (before Robert's suggestion and since to
make sure I hadn't missed anything) read the FAQ section on core dumps
and debugging. I am considering running in debug mode for a while, but
this _is_ a produciton server and I don't want to impact any further on
my users.

> Please note that you may be in violation to the GPL license
> when you use binary only modules or otherwise non-GPL
> licensed software linked into a GPL product like Squid. I
> suggest you read the GPL license and the SmartFilter license
> very carefully to determine if you are allowed to use Squid
> with the SmartFilter software.

Please again read the sentence quoted below:

> > SmartFilter integrates with squid by patching several
> source files to
> > redirect the URL to itself (rather than using the standard
> redirector
> > interface,) by adding a couple of lines to squid.conf and
> by adding a
> > couple of fields to access.log.

To be abosolutely blitheringly plain and obvious, the only taint to the
squid code is as patches to the source. There are _NO_ binary patches.
_NO_ binaries are linked into squid without being distributed as source
code. SmartFilter includes some _external_ binaries which are called by
squid in much the same way as a redirector. Are you suggesting that
squid calling a non-GPL binary is a violation of GPL?

There are at least 2 other readers of this list (I am in communication
with 2) who are getting _precisely_ the same errors (either a seg
violation or the particular assert failure in store_client.c.) We
_know_ it is Secure Computing's problem. We are trying to get enough
info to force them to fix the damn problem, but it is a little difficult
when we aren't familiar enough with the squid source to work out what is
happening and we are commiunicating via email with a moving target of
help desk people who often don't appear to talk to each other. :-(

In at least one case they have said that nobody else has reported the
problem!
NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.