Re: [squid-users] Need help about SQUID access.log (How can I get the duration of an ICP query?)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 01:53:55 +0200

Ming Zu wrote:

> My question is why the duration for these IPC_querys
> are always 0 milli-seconds? Even though it could be
> fast, I don't believe it can be that fast....

It is..

The duration logged locally is how long it took for Squid to process the
ICP query once received by Squid. As Squid does nothing else while
processing a ICP query the time is very short. This does not include how
long it took for the ICP message to tavel from the other peer over the
network, or how long the message has been sitting in the ICP socket
waiting for Squid to pick up the message.

To get correct a view of the latency in ICP queries you need to look at
the querying side of things. There is no detailed logs giving the
latency of each ICP query, but there is statistics collected and
available via the cachemgr interface.