[squid-users] HTTP POST split across two TCP/IP packets by squid

From: Cann, Jeffery <jeffery_cann@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:55:25 -0700

Greetings,

We have Squid 2.5 STABLE2 installed. When we submit a login HTML form from our web application, all of the HTTP POST data is sent in a single TCP/IP packet from the browser's TCP/IP stack. After it traverses Squid, the data portion of the POST is continued into another packet.

The problem occurs because the continued packet seems to cause a deadlock condition. The web server expects additional information from the TCP/IP stream which is in the continued packet. The browser sent a single packet, so it is waiting on the web server. Eventually, the web server times out with an HTTP 408.

We checked RFC 2616 (HTTP) and there are no provisions for this situation, which I expect because it appears to be a TCP/IP issue. It also appears that either the web server is confused or the operating systems TCP/IP demultiplexer is confused. We don't think it's a proxy issue, but thought we would ask here to confirm.

We appreciate any other suggestions. I can post the TCP/IP dumps from each interface point if that is helpful.

Thanks for your time.
Jeff

Jeffery Cann
Senior System Engineer
Technology Engineering
Standard & Poor's
7400 South Alton Court
Centennial, CO 80112
(303) 721-4635 (w)
(303) 956-1453 (c)

The information contained in this message is intended only for the recipient, and may be a confidential attorney-client communication or may otherwise be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, please be aware that any dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Thank you,

Standard & Poor's