Re: [squid-users] cache performance

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 14 Apr 2003 10:41:55 +0200

mån 2003-04-14 klockan 02.04 skrev Kasim Oztoprak:

> i have seen some benchmarking in the internet for the web caches.
> in such results squid seems to be one of the slowests one compared
> with commercial ones. however, i saw that the tests are done 2
> or three years ago. I would like to know, where i can find an up to
> date performance metrics for squid.

There has not been any large improvements in Squid performance since the
last benchmarks.

> Can it response more than 2 -3 thousands responses per second?

No. And I do not imagine many competitors does even if some claim they
can on their very largest boxes. 2-3 thousands responses per second
aggregates to 200-400Mbps of HTTP traffic.

> the second question is related to transparent proxy. can I force squid
> to send the IP address of the clients to the web servers to be
> connected? I mean can i force the proxy to to provide IP addres of the
> clients to the web servers?

Generally no, due to the nature of TCP/IP, but there is starting to
emerge the needed technology to do this in Linux. See the squid-dev
archives.

Free Squid-users support provided by Henrik Nordström <hno@squid-cache.org>
If you need commercial Squid support or cost effective Squid and