Re: [squid-users] How to guess how many requests per second?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 23:41:34 +0200

On Thursday 17 April 2003 22.17, Joao Coutinho wrote:
> I want to upgrade my squid server and would like to know whats the
> best configuration for my server. (memory, harddisk ...)
> From the User's Guide "To decide on your machine, you need an idea
> of the load that it will need to sustain: the peak number of
> requests per minute" How can I know the peak number of request per
> minute on my squid server? I have almost 200 people on my network.
> thanks in advance.

If you have a proxy running today then usage statistics will tell you
this information.

This very basic usage statistics can either be collected by running
statistics on your access.log, or by looking into cachemgr. When
using cachemgr make sure to read the values at peak load time, not
after hours when the proxy is barely used..

For runtime monitoring I recommend plotting requests/s and other basic
performance metrics using MRTG or RRDTOOL. This gives very nice
graphs showing how the traffic load varies over the day, updated in
near real time. This type of information is easily queried by such
tools via the SNMP interface of Squid.