Re: [squid-users] Talking to a service via squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:42:04 +0200

> Below is an example of what I'm posting. Can someone tell me if
> this will work?
>
> connected to <proxy address>:<proxy port>
> HTTP Header:
> GET <our command here eg ABCDEF> HTTP/1.0
> Host: <our server name here> : <our port number>
> Proxy-Authorization:Basic <Base64 encoded proxy username :

Looks fine, except that there must be a blank line after the last
header to signal the end of the request headers, and the URL of the
GET operation needs to be a full URL when talking to a proxy (i.e.
http://servername:port/command). The Host: header is optional but
preferred.

One thing to note is that Squid by default have security restrictions
on which ports it accepts to forward requests to. If you are not
running on port 80 then make sure to run on a high port >1024. Lower
ports are all reserved for various purposes not related to HTTP.