Re: [squid-users] delayClient: WARNING: Called with 'allones' address

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:22:15 +0200

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 06.54, adam-s@pacbell.net wrote:

> As an aside, what is the error *supposed* to mean? The "allones"
> bit piqued my curiousity especially how a false positive would be
> triggered.

Any debug messages at level > 1 is mostly debug messages meant for the
developer and does not signal any errors. These can rarely be looked
at in isolation. This message is in level 2 and is thus a debug
message and not a error message.

Your question is actually: Is delayClient supposed to be called with
'allones' addresses like this? This is a question on the actual
source of Squid, not the function of delay pools. What is missing to
answer your question is the answer to "what type of request is
this?".

The answer I do not know without studying this part of the source in
detail. The easiest way to find the answer is via a debugger to
inspect the full details of the request being processed at the time
the message is printed. The other way is to enable full debugging and
then follow the full trace of the request from start to where this
message is printed to gain an understanding on when this call to
delayClient() occurs and why the address is a 'allones' address. It
may be a bug or it may be perfectly normal for all I know. First
reaction is that it probably is normal.

Note: 'allones' addresses is used within Squid for internal requests
initiated by Squid such as digest and netdb transfers and indicates
that there is no client behind this request.