Re: [squid-users] Cache manager: which ports are being used?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:12:29 +0200

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 08.30, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> > And have you given your web server rights to access the proxy
> > port?
> >
> > (the source IP address will be the address of your web server
> > where cachemgr.cgi runs, not your own).
>
> You mean the source address will be "localhost" or my server's IP?

Depends on where cachemgr runs, and what address you tell cachemgr to
connect to.

If cachemgr runs on the same server and you tell it to connect to
localhost then the source will be localhost.

If cachemgr runs on another web server then the source IP address will
be that of the webserver where cachemgr runs.

If cachemgr runs on the same server and you tell it to connect to the
official proxy address (not localhost) then the source address will
usually be the same, but can vary a little depending on your OS and
setup..

> If you don't understand what the two lines above do, tell me!

I understand them fine.

What you should have is to log all traffic denied by your firewall
except for traffic you know what it is and do not want to see. This
way you do not need to guess what it going on.