Re: [squid-users] trouble w/ delay_pools info in cachemgr

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:35:15 +0200

On Monday 12 May 2003 22.39, Adam wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to understand some of the values in the Cachemgr
> scripts delay_pools sub-menu.
>
> One question I have is what does "Current mean" in the following:

"Current" means how full of bandwidth credit the delay pool is at the
moment.

When the user gets traffic this value is deducted from the current
value. Each second the refill rate is added to the current value.
When there is nothing left (current<=0) in the pool users cannot get
any data until the pool has been refilled.

> Also what does the 1st (lefthand) number in a pair under
> "Individual" like this "Current: 31:51200 128:45551 38:51200 etc."

The first is the last component of the IP address. The second the
current pool value of the individual pool for this IP.

> Is there any way to correllate these delay_pool entries to either
> the access log file or filedescriptor menu so I can verify/compare
> my totals?

IP address.

> Also one time (but not everytime) I pulled up this menu, the
> Current: field for delay_pool #4 was equal to -20. I only found
> one explanation on the mailing list of this value and it was good
> but I don't quite understand it:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=82f6dq%245ni%241%40FreeBSD.csi
>e.NCTU.ed u.tw wrote:

This means there is no more bandwidth credit available in this pool
and no users of this pool is getting any data until refilled with
more credits.

To not cause very bad TCP effects pools may temporarily be slightly
overused, but this evens out over time.

> right since it is 4-5 connections. So I am wondering, since
> delay_pool #3 runs until 8am, if a user starts a connection before
> 8am, would it then stay persistent 4 hours later (it's after noon)?

Pools are assigned on individual requests (lines in access.log), when
the request is received by Squid.

The pool is not changed if the conditions on which pool the request
should belong to changes during the duration of the request, but any
new requests received after the change in conditions will get
assigned the new pool.

> Lastly, what is the significance of the value at the very bottom:
> "Memory used" - since I've been watching this menu wavers around
> 6048 and 5464 bytes which in either case seems pretty tiny and
> doesn't add up to any of the numbers on the screen. Currently
> there is 1024MB of RAM with 183MB free, and 602MB swap in use.
> The squid process is 584MB (581MB resident).

It is the memory usage by your delay pools. delay pools do not use
very much memory. (well, many class 3 pools with users in very many
"C" networks will add up to quite a bit of memory, but..)