Re: [squid-users] safest squid configuration?

From: Adam <adam-s@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:14:36 -0700

Valentin wrote:
> It looks that a lot of people from our networks are using outside hosting
> providers and they are publishing into their web space very often. Our
> cache servers are cacheing these pages but because of the rapid changes
> there, we are serving old (cached) content.

But if they are publishing to their web space very often then the data isn't
old, it's new and shouldn't the last-mod reflect that? I guess not, huh?
Well maybe the users could be encouraged to make the expiry time shorter or
your could retrain your users to do a forced client-refresh (shift reload or
whatever) to get their pages.

> Is there a way to tune up squid and solve this problem?

This is just wild speculation (I think I have a better idea below) but if
the headers don't have explicit expiry times, then maybe you could use the
"refresh_pattern" tag? Or even if they did have expiry times but were too
lengthy (hence "old" files are served from the cache), then maybe you could
use the override option though the squid.conf file warns that that would
violate the standard and probably cause other problems.

Probably what I would do *instead*, if I even understood your goal
correctly, is use something like this:
          acl webpub dstdomain .dom1.com .dom2.com etcetera
          no_cache deny webpub

That would still retain the benefits of caching for all other sites but not
cache these people's personal sites.

hth,

Adam