Re: [squid-users] safest squid configuration?

From: Valentin Chopov <valentin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 16:18:36 -0400 (EDT)

Henrik,

thanks. Yes, my case is WCCP/transparent proxy and a lot of users;)
So my option are ie_refresh and refresh_pattern only .
For more special cases I'll continue using Cisco WCCP ACLs on the routers.
BTW, ie_refresh was on already and today I reduced refresh_pattern max
from 3 days to 3 hours.

Thanks again,
Val

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On Friday 16 May 2003 20.31, Valentin Chopov wrote:
>
> > I want to configure my squid cache servers in the let's say safest
> > way;) I want to reduce to minimum keeping old content in the
> > servers' cache. It looks that a lot of people from our networks
> > are using outside hosting providers and they are publishing into
> > their web space very often. Our cache servers are cacheing these
> > pages but because of the rapid changes there, we are serving old
> > (cached) content. Is there a way to tune up squid and solve this
> > problem?
>
> Yes, DON'T run Squid as a transparent proxy and your users will do
> this automatically for you.
>
> The problem with running Squid as a transparent proxy is that then the
> browsers do not know there is a proxy cache, and does not indicate
> the user wants a fresh copy when the user uses the reload button.
> When the browser is configured to use a proxy everything just works..
>
> There is a few tweaks you can enable in squid.conf to minimize the
> downsides in content freshness of transparent interception caching
>
> - ie_refresh on
> - refresh_pattern with a limited max age
>
> Regards
> Henrik
>
> --
> Donations welcome if you consider my Free Squid support helpful.
> https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=hno%40squid-cache.org
>
> If you need commercial Squid support or cost effective Squid or
> firewall appliances please refer to MARA Systems AB, Sweden
> http://www.marasystems.com/, info@marasystems.com

==
Valentin S. Chopov, CC[ND]P
Sys/Net Admin