[squid-users] squid build reccomendations

From: <richard.fuser@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:29:20 +1000

Hi Everyone,

I have been given new hardware to build my squid boxes on and Im looking to
do this the best way possible, so that squid makes use of the hardware
effectivly.

My new parent proxys are Sun v210 servers, 2GB memory, 2 x 36GB drives, I
was thinking of attaching multipacks to these for extra 18GB disks (cache)
My new child proxys are Sun v120 servers, 1GB memory, 2 x 36GB drives.

My current parent proxys in peak times are running at about 2-3MBits/sec
My current busiest child proxy in peak times are running at no more than
2MBits/sec

I have done some research on TCP/IP tuning on solaris and found a great
document to use which may have been posted before but its here for anyone
who is interested

http://www.sean.de/Solaris/soltune.html

I have gathered the following reccomendations also, if anyone has comments
please comment!!

Running Solaris 9, Squid 2.5 STABLE3

I have been advised to mount all cache disks with noatime

Use filesystem journaling on Solaris, its also been reccomended to keep the
journal on a seperate disk, does anyone know if this means an entire
sperate disk or just seperate to the cache?

Have had the following reccomendation on disk layout:

1 Disk for logs
Several cache disks, 3 has been reccomended does anyone have any valuable
input on this ?
Lots of RAM, Im hoping my 2GB will be enough?

For children I was thinking 1 x 36 for cache and the other 36 split up for
logs and OS as I only have 2 disks (can anyone see an issue with this?)

For parents I was thinking something like:
2 x 18 or 9's mirrored for OS
2, 3 or 4 36's or 18's for cache
1 x 18 for logs
1 x 18 for filesystem journaling???

I have also been told its a good idea to tune the kernel to the weird
things squid does, I dont really understand this comment but does anyone
this its worth looking at tuning, and if so does anyone have a good place
to start with Solaris 9?

Hope this is not too confusing, help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Richard Fuser
Firewall Administrator