RE: [squid-users] How to fix active page time-outs? PLEASE HELP

From: Mark Pelkoski <mpelkoski@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:03:16 -0600

Okay, here are my new settings:

half_closed_clients on
request_timeout 10 minutes
persistent_request_timeout 5 minutes

I opened up a Yahoo account to test. It seems the connection does stay
open up to 5 minutes (Better then before), then dies. So, the answer
would be to up the persistent_request_timeout to something like 8 hours
to allow workers to keep windows open all day, like M$ Proxy. Is there
any drawbacks in speed or resources in doing so? Thanks for your help.

-Mark

> I'm getting a lot of complaints from my users that when in active
> pages the connection will just die. This can be duplicated with web
> mail clients in MSN, yahoo and hotmail. It usually happens when typing
> then sending a message. When sending, the next page will immediately
> be "page cannot be displayed."

> I am using Squid 2.5 Stable-2 in conjunction with wb_group auth.

Use http_access to turn off authentication for a single client IP. Test
from this IP to see if the problem still occurs.

> Looking at an ethereal dump shows Squid sending resets for all
> connections open to the client for that page. It must be a timing
> issue because if you pre-type the message, then paste and send it will
> post
fine.

Check the following settings in squid.conf (in [] is default setting)

half_closed_clients [on] - If off, try turning on request_timeout [5
minutes] - Try increasing persistent_request_timeout [1 minute] - - Try
increasing

Have you searched the mailing list archives and/or the web?

Adam

---