Re: [squid-users] FTP authenticated logons

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 01:11:57 +0200

On Monday 07 July 2003 22.12, Jorge Umaņa wrote:
> I am using squid-2.4.STABLE7, right now I have access to the http
> service and to
> the ftp service with an anonymous account, however when I try to
> access with a
> specific account it does not work I do not get any prompt to put
> the login and
> password neither with ftp://username@host. Could you say me what is
> wrong.

A guess:

You are using MSIE, and are frustrated because MSIE does not support
authentication to FTP servers over HTTP but requires the password to
be specified in the URL using the official
ftp://user:password@host/path.. syntax.

ftp://username@host/ is an inofficial URL syntax. When Squid sees such
URL it asks the browser to provide full user credentials via WWW
authentication but unfortunately not all browsers know how to handle
this, which is a little odd as they do know how to handle WWW
authentication when requesting a http:// URL from the HTTP proxy and
there technically is no difference in what the browser does... (both
are just a HTTP request to the proxy, and displaying HTTP/HTML