RE: [squid-users] winbind and samba

From: Joseph M Siegmann <joseph@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:05:00 -0400

To better clear this up.

I am currently running Squid-2.5.STABLE3 (Also did it with STABLE2) in
my Windows 2000 "Native Mode" environment.

All native mode does is turn on certain functionality of the new Windows
2000 Environment like Universal Groups and having the ability to put
Groups inside other Groups.

IT also has the ability to up the level of security needed to talk with
Windows 2000 server just as Windows 2003 has. But that functionality can
be dumb down. I talking about the Authentication Method. LanMan / NTLM /
NTLM v2 / Kerberos Blah...

In short, If you can get Samba to talk with your server it will work. If
it doesn't talk with your server after flipping that magic switch, then
all you have to do is tell your DC to dumb down, or allow for the old
auth protocols. (I did not have to do this except at my home network
running 2003 from a straight install)

You will be fine as long as you have the right software (versions etc.)
I would tell you it will work, but I don't run your network so I can't
be that confident. But it works here for me and at other places where I
run. So you will be fine.

Joseph M Siegmann
CISSP, CCNA, CCDA, MCSE, MCT