Re: [squid-users] Predictive caching?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 02:26:47 +1000

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 01:45, Chris Wilcox wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just had a suggestion about a project I'm working on: can we provide
> predictive caching? I know it's possible to use cron and wget to schedule
> downloads of pages to keep them in the cache, but is there any way I can get
> squid to follow links on pages it downloads so they load even quicker when
> requested by users? There's nothing in the docs so I'm presuming this is a
> no? In which case, is anyone aware of ways I can get this type of behaviour
> to work?

Nothing within squid today, and unlikely unless someone contributes or
sponsors it.

if you research into this, be sure to accomodate:
handling /large/ objects that the user never requests.
handling the meta-data headers to ensure the pre-fetched object is
compatible with the Vary: instructions issued by the server.
handling the link saturation that will likely be caused.
dealing with synthetic URL's (such as created by javascript).

Cheers,
Rob