RE: [squid-users] User Authentication using NCSA module.

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:35:35 -0400

> My password file will be at /usr/local/squid/etc/passwd

Did you use rpm -ql to find out where the rpm put the
ncsa_auth program? You'll need to know that to setup
the authentication.

> I am sorry, I am new to this don't know how to create
> crypt encryption. I think format is username:passowrd.

Yes, that is the correct format. There are several ways
to setup the password file.

If you also have Apache installed on this server, you
can use the htpasswd program that comes with Apache.
Check its man page for correct info.

You can also create the encrypted passwords with Perl.
From the command line, run:

perl -e "print crypt('[password]','[seed]')"

Where [password] is the cleartext password and [seed] is
a random 2-character string.

Adam