RE: [squid-users] Authentication

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:44:12 -0400

> if i only want the users on my lan (Windows 98 and 2000, IE 6.0)
> to authenticate to a users list in the linux proxy, which is the
> authentication program that i ve to use? I tried to do it with NCSA,
> but it didnt worked (Is it supposed to??). I want my users to have
> to log once they open the browser, am i clear?

NCSA auth should work for what you want to do, but in your case Digest
auth would probably be even better. The default squid.conf has good
info on setting up the digest auth helper.

You also need support for authentication compiled into Squid; I don't
know if the RedHat 8.0 RPM has that support. What does the output of
squid -v say?

Adam