Re: [squid-users] RedHat 9 & wccp

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:23:56 +0200

On Thursday 28 August 2003 22.52, Brad Groshok wrote:

> Can someone confirm that IP_wccp is compatible with Redhat 9.
> Standard out of the box RH install (think its 2.4.20-8 kernel)

ip_wccp is compatible with the RedHat kernel sources, but it is a bit
tricky to build custom modules without building a full custom
kernel..

> I've been spending tons of time trying to figgure out how to build
> a RH9 kernel, but no sense in proceeding if the wccp module isn't
> going to work once I get there.

Build custom RedHat kernel:

   rpm -i kernel-source-2.4.XX-Y.rpm
   cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.XX-Y
   make mrproper
   cp configs/config_matching_your_kernel_type .config
   make oldconfig / make xconfig / make menuconfig
   make dep; make clean;
   make bzImage; make modules
   [take note of the GCC flags shown during "make modules"]

Install newly built kernel

   make modules_install; make install

Boot into the new kernel to verify that it works

Change boot menu to default to the new kernel
   [default=0 in /etc/boot/grub/grub.conf]

Build & install ip_wccp module

   gcc [flags collected above] -o ip_wccp.o ip_wccp.c
   mkdir /lib/modules/2.4.XX-yycustom/net
   cp ip_wccp.o /lib/modules/2.4.XX-yycustom/net/
   depmod -a

Load ip_wccp module and verify WCCP functionality

   modprobe ip_wccp

Set up the sytem to load ip_wccp automatically on system boot

   echo "modprobe ip_wccp" >>/etc/rc.d/rc.local
   [alternatively add the modprobe line to /etc/rc.d/init.d/squid]

> VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or 00:00

Is this the only error you get, or do you get other errors before
this?

What I can think of is if you are not booting with a initrd matching
the same kernel..