[squid-users] log file redundancies in a network of caches

From: Phil Lucs <harrylucs@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 00:04:17 +1000

Hello to everybody reading this email,

I'm a university student charged with the task of determining the page cost
for for http requests in a network that makes extensive use of Squid
proxies.

My question is, does Squid store redundant caching information, i.e. if
proxy(alpha) went through proxy(beta) to proxy(theta), and proxy(theta) had
a copy of the requested http object that was first propagated from
proxy(alpha), then does an access.log entry in proxy(alpha) and proxy(beta)
specify that BOTH proxies received the following pseudo access.log entry:

access.log of proxy(alpha):

originator of request: alpha
bytes: N
name of machine that satisfied the request: theta
method: upstream proxy

access.log of proxy(beta):

originator of request: beta
bytes: N
name of machine that satisfied the request: theta
method: upstream proxy

I'm sorry that I have not had the opportunity to look at the access.log
files myself for this particular case. I have not been able to get any
access.log files yet to test my hypothesis due to not encroaching on the
privacy of the users of the network.

I hope this is clear enough, if not please tell me.

All the best,
Phillip