Re: [squid-users] Corrupted downloads?

From: Boniforti Flavio <boniforti@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:32:53 +0200

Antony Stone wrote:

> What is the nature of the corruption? Are the files correct up to a certain
> point, and then simply end, suggesting that the data stream got cut off, or
> are there missing bytes within the file (so the resultant length is
> shortened), or are some bytes changed (so the final file is the right length
> but some of the contents are incorrect)?

The length is always correct.

ZIP files: CRC Error
EXE files: errors when running them (if standalone programs) or when
installing them (like Adobe Acrobat Reader 6).

> What happens if you download the same file across the same leased line but
> bypassing the Squid proxy?

I did, and as I mentioned before, nothing changed. My parent proxy
(which was my main proxy, until I dediced to put another local proxy
here at my offce) seems still to cause corrupted downloads...

> What type of file/s get corrupted? Plain text? HTML? Binaries (images,
> executables, arbitrary data)?

Mainly BIG files ( about every file bigger than 4/5MB), therefore ZIPs
and EXEs.

> What is the MIME content type of the downloads which get corrupted?
> Text/plain? Text/html? Application/octet-stream?

The last one, "application/octet-stream".

> What do the Squid access.log files on both your proxy and the parent proxy
> tell you about the files which arrive corrupted?

I can't get the parent proxy's log files, but mine is like:

1066382936.928 94247 10.167.211.11 TCP_MISS/200 18033719 GET
http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/6.x/6.0/ita/AdbeRdr60_ita_full.exe
boniforti FIRST_PARENT_MISS/proxy.reteunitaria.piemonte.it
application/octet-stream

> Hope some of these questions point in a helpful direction.....
>
> Regards,
>
> Antony.

Thank you...