RE: [squid-users] Squid Setup

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:57:14 -0400

> I'm in the process of implementing a squid proxy on
> Windows 2000 based network on linux with authentication
> via the win2k domain controller.

> Also, is there a squid administration tool that would allow
> me to block a user by username in a simple manner?

What's wrong with the suggestion I already gave you?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=squid-users&m=106659175714446&w=2

> Also, is there a way to "include" a file in squid.conf?

Most acls support reading a list from a file; just enclose the path to
the file in quotes.

> Which reporting package would be optimal to show how much
> time and bandwidth that a user is spending online by username.

Take a look here for some options:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Scripts/

For what you're looking for, Sarg seems to get good reviews on the
list.

> How much server horsepower will I need to do the following :

The biggest issue is how many clients will be accessing the cache at
once.

If you have a Pentium III/Athlon, you'll have more than enough CPU.
I'd recommend at least 128 MB of RAM, though anything over 1 GB will
likely be overkill.

The biggest performance issue for Squid is usually disk; put Squid's
cache on a fast SCSI disk (ideally dedicated to Squid's cache), and do
not put make this disk part of any sort of RAID. The disk doesn't need
to be huge; for your user count anything over 2 GB of cache will
probably be overkill.

> Detailed Reporting showing time a user spends online
> throughout the day

HTTP has no concept of log on or log off, so you could see how long a
user took to download a page, but not how long a user sat reading the
page after downloading it. You could see the number of requests, byte
count, and sites visited, though.

> Blacklisting of certain sites from a blacklist, ie porn, free
> email sites

SquidGuard or Dan's Guardian might be a good add-on for this.

> Webmin or something similar for administration

Search Google for Webmin plugins for Squid - someone probably wrote
one.

Adam