Re: [squid-users] Squid re-compile scope

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 01:32:40 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 jeff.richards@centrelink.gov.au wrote:

> 1. If I re-compile the same version of Squid on another machine (same
> OS, version etc.), with the correct fd limit, is it sane to just take the
> resultant squid binary and replace the one in production (the system fd has
> already been raised in production)? Or should I replace other files too?

Replacing the binary is sufficient if the only change you make is the
number of filedescriptors or other changes which only affects the binary.

> 2. If I do not know the compile options used for the binary currently in
> production, would I need to replace anything else in addition to the squid
> binary - in case there is a mismatch between options used on the newly
> compiled one and the old one?

As Squid is almost self-contained (except for icons and error messages)
within the single binary there is little else required, but if you change
to use external DNS helper (--disable-internal-dns) then you need to
remember to install the dnsserver binary as well.

The interfaces to different helpers such as authentication or external_acl
helpers is neutral to a recompile. There is no need to have helpers
replaced only because you recompile Squid. There is however sometimes a
dependency on the Squid version as the interface sometimes changes slighty
(auth helpers for Squid-2.4 won't work 100% with Squid-2.5 or later)