Re: [squid-users] Squid re-compile scope

From: Tom Lahti <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:36:38 -0800

At 04:10 PM 11/3/2003, jeff.richards@centrelink.gov.au wrote:
>Guys
>
>I need to re-compile Squid to pick up a new system fd limit. As it's in
>production, I can't re-compile it there AND I need it to easily fit back
>into an existing Solaris package (I know I can re-compile and re-package
>the whole thing but I'm trying to keep the scope of the change to a
>minimum).
>
>1. If I re-compile the same version of Squid on another machine (same
>OS, version etc.), with the correct fd limit, is it sane to just take the
>resultant squid binary and replace the one in production (the system fd has
>already been raised in production)? Or should I replace other files too?

Yes, just copy the binary. There aren't any internal dependencies, just
external ones. If it coredumps make sure that the same versions of
libraries used are on both systems (e.g. thread library, C library,
resolver, etc).

>2. If I do not know the compile options used for the binary currently in
>production, would I need to replace anything else in addition to the squid
>binary - in case there is a mismatch between options used on the newly
>compiled one and the old one?

You can find the compile options from squid with "squid -v"

    Tom Lahti
    Tx3 Online Services

    (888)4-TX3-SVC (489-3782)
    http://www.tx3.net/