Re: [squid-users] Squid re-compile scope

From: <jeff.richards@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 12:53:58 +1100

Many thanks Henrik, that's everything I need!

Jeff

--
Jeff Richards
Technical Consultant

                      Henrik Nordstrom
                      <hno@squid-cache.        To:       jeff.richards@centrelink.gov.au
                      org>                     cc:       squid-users@squid-cache.org
                                               Subject:  Re: [squid-users] Squid re-compile scope
                      04/11/2003 11:32

                                        |---------------------|
                                        | ( ) Urgent(4 hours) |
                                        | (*) Normal(24-48)   |
                                        | ( ) Low(72 hours)   |
                                        |---------------------|  Expires on

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 jeff.richards@centrelink.gov.au wrote:
> 1.    If I re-compile the same version of Squid on another machine (same
> OS, version etc.), with the correct fd limit, is it sane to just take the
> resultant squid binary and replace the one in production (the system fd
has
> already been raised in production)? Or should I replace other files too?
Replacing the binary is sufficient if the only change you make is the
number of filedescriptors or other changes which only affects the binary.
> 2.    If I do not know the compile options used for the binary currently
in
> production, would I need to replace anything else in addition to the
squid
> binary - in case there is a mismatch between options used on the newly
> compiled one and the old one?
As Squid is almost self-contained (except for icons and error messages)
within the single binary there is little else required, but if you change
to use external DNS helper (--disable-internal-dns) then you need to
remember to install the dnsserver binary as well.
The interfaces to different helpers such as authentication or external_acl
helpers is neutral to a recompile. There is no need to have helpers
replaced only because you recompile Squid. There is however sometimes a
dependency on the Squid version as the interface sometimes changes slighty
(auth helpers for Squid-2.4 won't work 100% with Squid-2.5 or later)
Important:  This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential, commercially valuable or subject to legal or parliamentary privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that any review, re-transmission, disclosure, use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited by several Commonwealth Acts of Parliament.  If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.