Re: [squid-users] testing ntlm_auth shipped with samba 3

From: Jerry Murdock <jmurdock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:03:31 -0500

The -SQUID- ntlm_auth helper doesn't need samba at all. It is essentially
the first generation ntlm helper and is "stand alone". It has known
problems and from the general discussion here I doubt it will see any
further development(but I'm not a squid developer).

The squid wb_* helpers are the NTLM helpers for Samba 2.x that depend upon
Samba's winbind daemon. They will not work with Samba3 due to changes in
winbind.

The -SAMBA- ntlm_auth helper is not really a squid helper at all. Squid
was one of the primary driving factors at getting it done (thanks to
Andrew Bartlett) but it's meant to be a general purpose tool available to
any source that may find it useful.

The squid developers want to get out of implementing the internals of NTLM
as much as possible. The Samba helper is generally considered the
"future" of NTLM auth on squid. It puts the internals of NTLM in Samba's
capable hands and keeps squid out of the job of chasing Samba's changes.

Jerry