Re: [squid-users] HTTPS Reverse proxy with HTML contents rewrite

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:14:05 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Souchon Yann wrote:

> Apache with mod_proxy can make this very simply.

So can Squid-2.5 and later.

> But I have a problem, that Apache can't help me.
>
> The links on the HTML pages (WEB SERVER) are not relatives, but full.

Ouch.. for this (without touching the application or web server) you need
a content rewriting proxy. Squid is not such.

It should be possible to extent Squid-3 for doing this using the new
internal client-streams API interfaces used by ESI, but it is not an easy
task and in fact can not solve all problems.

In our reverse proxy product (eMARA) we work around this by a small
custom rewriting engine running as a parent to Squid.

It is strongly adviced to look into if it would be possible to convince
the web application to use the public Internet URL names on accesses via
the reverse proxy rather than trying to have the reverse proxy modify the
content. Some applications do this automatically if receiving a correct
Host header, others require a new virual server to be defined.