RE: [squid-users] Squid NT vs. Squid Linux

From: Chris Wilcox <not_rich_yet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:14:16 +0000

Hmm, 30-50 users really isn't a huge load on a server running Squid! We run
an ISP provided Squid/SquidGuard/firewall/e-mail server in our school. We
have around 100+ simultaneous Internet users on a 2Mbit DSL line. Server
spec is really basic:

P4 16Ghz
512MB RAM
40GB 7200rpm ATA-100 IDE Hard Disk
100Mbit switched LAN connection

As mentioned, your Internet speed will be the real bottleneck here. I'd see
no reason why something lower spec than above would easily provide a benefit
to the 'feel' of Internet speed. It also depends on the style of browsing
done by your LAN users. If they all visit the same websites/pages then
things will definetly feel faster. If users have widely differing browsing
habits then things may not improve too much as the majority of web content
may end up not being served from the cache as no-one has looked at it
before. Our school tends to reach up to 55-60% of hits being served from
the cache but as a school we have fairly common browsing between users as
students often visit pages as suggested by Teachers.

You may also benefit by running a local DNS server, so DNS lookups can be
performed 'on-LAN' as opposed to being performed by an Internet/ISP based
DNS server. Check out BIND on Linux for this. It's not too hard to
configure.

Final comment is that on a 256kbit line, Squid is unlikely to end up being a
bottleneck even on a very low powered server. Many commercial companies
that provide Squid based caches use things as basic as AMD K6-2 450Mhz CPUs!

Hope this is of use,

Regards,

nry

http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess