Re: [squid-users] Configure squid to first try NTLM auth then fall back to BASIC?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:33:11 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Matthew Richards wrote:

> I wish to configure Squid so that it challenges users for
> authentication, first with NTLM and if the user agent does not support
> that then offer BASIC. I am currently experimenting with Samba 3 and the
> winbind authenticator.

Squid always challenges using all configured authentication schemes. It is
the client who selects the most suitable scheme to use.

What this means is that this "fallback" should be automatic. User-agents
who support NTLM will use NTLM, others will use Basic (or Digest if
configured and supported by the user-agent).