Re: [squid-users] reverse ssl-proxy?

From: Antony Stone <Antony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:15:09 +0000

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 9:24 pm, John Hally wrote:

> Thanks Antony.
>
> In short, both. the scenario is we have multiple web servers on the
> intranet that we need to make available from the internet for roaming
> salespeople. What I'm looking to do is have squid act as a web proxy so
> that the salespeople can hit https://sqid.somewhere.com and be able to get
> to the intranet servers. I'm thinking something along the lines of
> //squid.x.com/server1 gets proxied to server1.intranet.com,
> //squid.x.com/server2 gets proxied to server2.intranet.com, etc.
>
> does that make sense?

Yes, it makes sense, but I'm not sure I understand what stops someone else
connecting to the servers? I mean, if this is an intranet, presumably you
only want your own people to connect to it, but I can't see any
authentication happening (maybe you use .htaccess files, which you didn't
bother to mention since they're nothing to do with squid?).

https will provide encryption to ensure the sessions can't be eavesdropped on
their way across the Internet, but unless you're using client certificates (a
good idea, but seldom implemented), you're not stopping other people seeing
the same servers.

Antony.

--
If you want to be happy for an hour, get drunk.
If you want to be happy for a year, get married.