Re: [squid-users] three questions on performance and forward proxying

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:37:16 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, squiduser wrote:

> 20-50 http requests per second (our users shouldnt be doing much browsing
> other than vendor and partner sites although we allow for occasional
> personal use to news sites, banking, etc).

Ok, then performance tuning is not the first priority as any standard
install with no tuning at all is fully capable of these speeds.

> I dont have enough data yet for
> a good Mbps as I just built their firewall log analysis and reporting box
> a few weeks ago. So I have enough data for a 'wag' based on a total
> transfer of 780 MB/day.

daily totals is hard to translate to Mbps, but 780 MB/day is very little.

> The system is a P4 2.2 ghz with 1 GB ram and 3 7200 rpm disks. 1 disk for
> the os, the other 2 for /var/log/squid (basically modified older Dell GX
> 240s that have been warehoused due to new systems being bought)

Total overkill box for the requirements you have given. A Via 500Mhz with
a single 4200 rpm laptop drive can handle the above vith only a little
tuning. Your box should not need to be even looked at.