Re: [squid-users] cache dir limits

From: Victor Ivanov <v0rbiz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:21:05 +0200

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 07:16:02AM -0600, Dave Augustus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2 recommendations-
>
> 1- Install SCSI raid instead (smaller files will be accessed faster)

Well, they won't give me the money for this :)
I was thinking about smaller cache_dirs using diskd on physically
separate disks, still ATA133 or 166 or 200 or what's the latest
cheapest stuff out there.
In my case diskd stopped working after about 50th Gigabyte, it starts,
eats all SYSV resources, dies and then I need to clean up. So I gave
up on it. But if I use 40G disks each with cache_dir and diskd, it
might work way better. But I don't think I'll have the chance to
try that out soon.

> 2- Format the partition that has the cache as ReiserFS.

Um, this is FreeBSD 5.1. The fastest thing it has is called UFS2 and
it is so fast, the machine panics and I can't use it ;) That was a
joke. But I really have troubles with UFS2 so I'll just stick to
UFS1 + SoftUpdates. Fast enough.

Thanks for your response