Re: [squid-users] cache dir limits

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:26:26 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Victor Ivanov wrote:

> Well, they won't give me the money for this :)
> I was thinking about smaller cache_dirs using diskd on physically
> separate disks, still ATA133 or 166 or 200 or what's the latest
> cheapest stuff out there.

ATA133 is fine.. but if you are buying new disks then pay attention to the
seek time. Squid eats seek time for breakfast and ATA drives are generally
have a lot slower seek times than SCSI drives.

> In my case diskd stopped working after about 50th Gigabyte, it starts,
> eats all SYSV resources, dies and then I need to clean up.

Have you configured the system with sufficient message queues and shared
memory for running the diskd configuration you have? (see the Squid FAQ on
diskd).

The resource usage by diskd is not dependent on the cache size, just on
how many cache_dir you have and the Q1/Q2 parameters of each.