Re: [squid-users] .pac file/newbie guide request here

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:09:46 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Renato Kalugdan wrote:

> My question pertains to .pac files
>
> Is there a guide that will allow me to comprehend this more thoroughly?

The Netscape specification is quite useable. You can find this and other
userful information from the Squid FAQ section on proxy auto
configuration. I would recommend to also look into WPAD which you can find
almost in the same place in the Squid FAQ.

> Where would I put such a file? On the Squid Server or on a Web Server?

On a web server somewhere. This web server may be on the same server as
Squid if you like, or some other server on your network. Or it might
even be a file share accessible to all clients. To Squid it does
not matter how the client finds the .pac file, just that the .pac file
instructs the client to go to the Squid proxy when it should..