[squid-users] squid 2.5 and wccp

From: Alexander Harkenthal <aharkenthal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:46:22 +0100

Hello Squid Users,

I am trying to setup squid Version 2.5.STABLE4 with wccp version 2 on a
linux server using SuSE 8.2 and using the SuSE kernel sources 2.4.20.

I tried to find the missing information to get this working in the mailing
list but I can NOT establish the comminication.

Just let me shortly explain my actions:

- I have successfully applied the wccpv2.patch from:
        http://squid.visolve.com/developments/wccpv2.htm
        to squid Version 2.5.STABLE4

Squid and the router communicating using the wccp hello packets (using
I_See_You and Here_I_Am packets).

- I successfully applied the ip_wccp-2_4_18.patch from:
        http://squid.visolve.com/developments/wccpv2.htm
        to SuSE kernel sources 2.4.20

After the reboot the ip_wccp module get loaded sucessfully (with a taint
warning, but I think this is "ok" as it is not a standard kernel module).

I added a appropriate iptables PREROUTING rule from port 80 to 3128 to get
the kernel to decapsulate the packets.

I can capture the HELLO - and the GRE packets on the linux machine.
But the module does NOT get used:

sq:~ # lsmod
ip_wccp 744 0 (unused)

and thatswhy the kernel does NOT catch and decapsulate the incoming packets
before passing them to Squid when I turned on the wccp version 2 on the
router.

The question is now:

- how can I get the kernel to decapsulate the packets ?
- does the kernel normally logs the access of the module into
        /var/log/messages ?

Cheers,
Alexander