Re: [squid-users] Getting authenticated username with PHP ?

From: Matthew Horoschun <mhoroschun@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:48:17 +1100

Andrew,

> I have a squid cache that makes people authenticate... I'd like to
> set up
> PHP page that displays some information about the person logged in
> based on the username they are using..
>
> I did a phpinfo() but the squid auth username doesn't appear in any
> global variables...

That is because squid doesn't pass the authentication information to
the web server (nor should it!).

> How do I find out the username of the person viewing my php script?

You can't easily.

> Is there any way to list all the users who are currently logged in ?

HTTP is a stateless protocol. Nobody is "logged in", they just make
requests.

You could fake this by importing access log entries into a database and
then searching for people who have made requests in the recent past
(e.g. in the last five minutes).

Matthew.