Re: [squid-users] Getting authenticated username with PHP ?

From: Andrew Nelson <andrew__nelson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:18:44 +1100

Hi Matthew, thanks for your response!

>That is because squid doesn't pass the authentication information to the
>web server (nor should it!).

Squid passes IPs on... What would be wrong with a Squid conf option
to pass the authenticated username on ? Anyone know of a patch?

>>How do I find out the username of the person viewing my php script?
>You can't easily.

Hmm it seemed like a pretty simple problem too !

>>Is there any way to list all the users who are currently logged in ?
>HTTP is a stateless protocol. Nobody is "logged in", they just make
>requests.

I'm sure you know about authenticate_ttl and all about the way squid
caches auth detail so it doesn't have to keep bothering the client...
It is stateful really - and that's also what PHP sessions and cookies are
all
about.. I guess i'm looking for a way to access Squid's internal session
cache..

>You could fake this by importing access log entries into a database and
>then searching for people who have made requests in the recent past (e.g.
>in the last five minutes).

that sounds like too much work... anyone know a better way? I'm
sure it's been done 1000 times ..

Thanks,
Andrew.