Re: [squid-users] Help with NTLM, automatic login?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:48:15 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, David Robinet wrote:

> I've got NTLM authentication working fine with Squid - user starts up
> IE6, hits the proxy, is prompted for their Windows userid and password,
> and must supply them to proceed. That's all happy.

Then you are not using NTLM authentication.. NTLM authentication is
automatic and when it does not match the user gets a three field userid,
domain and password login prompt.

> What I'd like to do is have that information passed to Squid
> automatically, so the user doesn't have to type them in each time.

There is two options

a) Use of NTLM authentication which provides transparent authentication to
the proxy using the same user ID as used for logging on to the desktop, in
much the same manner as authentication is taking place to Windows file
servers etc.

b) Use of Basic authentication and select the "save password" box in the
IE login box.

Information on how to set up NTLM authentication is found in the Squid FAQ
and other places. You want to be using the Samba-3.0 method.