RE: [squid-users] SQUID SETTINGS

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:40:59 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Scott Phalen wrote:

> Duane,
>
> I have been watching my processes and cache all day today. Squid is the
> only thing running on this server and seems to be running at 99% CUP
> utilization. I currently have 600MB free mem out of 2GB (I reset squid 2

If you are using a very recent version then you are probably experiencing
the ipcache_purgelru bug (#891 in our bugzilla)

> hours ago). I changed my cache_mem to 128MB and set the cache_dir to 50000
> 16 256. What I am concerned about is running out of RAM. From the output
> of my "top" screen... there is no swap being used.
>
> Is there a point where squid will stop consuming more RAM?

If you are getting "600MB free mem" from a program like top, then you
are probably being misled. What is the actual Squid process size?

> Does it hurt the caching process with frequent reboots?

Not really, other than disrupting the service for your users.

Duane W.