Re: [squid-users] Squid WCCPV2 Question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:42:05 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Wallace, Brian S. wrote:

> I have added the WCCP2_CAPABILITY_INFO to the "I AM HERE" packet. Since
> we are running on Solaris 8, we don't have a GRE module and I am setting
> the return method to L2.

That is fine.

> After talking with Cisco, they only support a
> return method of GRE. Is this a problem? Does Squid ever return
> packets?

Well, it depends.

Squid does not, but if your Squid server does not intercept the packets
then it will route them.

To deal with this you can use acls in the Cisco router to not intercept
packets with the MAC address of the proxy, or make sure that any packets
redirected via WCCP is intercepted by the server and sent to Squid.

> Also, it looks like the wccpv2 code is using the hash assignment method.

Yes.

> Is this the case? If so, I will also need to recode that part of
> wccpv2.

What is wrong with using the hash assignment method?