[squid-users] Sizing Squid and WCCP caching for large enterprise..

From: Mueller, Rex <rmueller@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:54:47 -0600

All,

Question to the group, We have a large enterprise. 19 school districts,
with the potential of 50000+ students.. We just setup our
Squid with WCCP and caching, I wanted to get a feel from you all how you
are sizing your boxes to handle caching traffic.

Our Internet connection size is 45mb (DS/3) running over frame. It is my
guess we'd have 65-75% of that is HTTP traffic the rest is FTP,
streaming vid, etc, etc.. When WCCP 2 is released we'd probably throw
even throw the cache..

Currently we had a Dell 1750 running RH9, Squid 25s5 with 30gb drive and
2.5gb ram. I hear caching will suckdown our drive space fairly quickly
and would like some ideas on how best to size additional hardware.. We
will be phasing in deployment initially 200 users, eventually to the
50,000 (possible)..

Any thoughts, or feelings appreciated..

Rex Mueller - Unix and Security Engineer
Educational Service Unit #3
Omaha, Nebraska 68128
402-597-4848
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759