RE: [squid-users] Squid and controlling access to internet in a classroom

From: jose b. chua <jose@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:52:20 -0500

> From: Geir Fossum [mailto:geirfo@online.no]
>
> I'm running the computersystems at a school.
> I wonder if there is a simple way to let the teachers toggle
> internetaccess
> on/off via a webpage and a ON/OFF button ?
> Which in turn reconfigures Squid and restarts the service.

Interesting problem. Are we to assume that there are several classrooms, and
a teacher in one should not be able to shut off or turn on Internet access
in other classrooms? A simple redirect_program that checks for an on/off
variable (set by a webpage script) against the IP of a clasroom's
computer(s) is the solution that jumps out at me.

Could also have the teacher power down the hub/switch the classroom
computers are connected to. =D