Re: [squid-users] Squid and controlling access to internet in a classroom

From: Geir Fossum <geirfo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:50:19 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "jose b. chua" <jose@njneuromed.org>
To: <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 9:52 PM
Subject: RE: [squid-users] Squid and controlling access to internet in a
classroom

> > From: Geir Fossum [mailto:geirfo@online.no]
> >
> > I'm running the computersystems at a school.
> > I wonder if there is a simple way to let the teachers toggle
> > internetaccess
> > on/off via a webpage and a ON/OFF button ?
> > Which in turn reconfigures Squid and restarts the service.
>
> Interesting problem. Are we to assume that there are several classrooms,
and
> a teacher in one should not be able to shut off or turn on Internet access
> in other classrooms? A simple redirect_program that checks for an on/off
> variable (set by a webpage script) against the IP of a clasroom's
> computer(s) is the solution that jumps out at me.
>
> Could also have the teacher power down the hub/switch the classroom
> computers are connected to. =D

Hi,

Yes, there are several classrooms and the teacher should only be allowed to
toggle internetaccess on/off in the classroom he/she is using.
The IT-staff should always be allowed to toggle every classroom on/off.

Would it be hard to write such a redirector that check for a on/off
parameter in the URL ?

Regards,
Geir